Friday, April 16, 2010

Kick-Ass



Title: Kick-Ass
Director: Matthew Vaughn
Actors: Aaron Johnson, Christopher Mintz-Plazze, Mark Strong, Chloe Moretz, Nicolas Cage

Wow. Just wow.

I had high expectations going into this movie. However, due to the recent bombs I've wasted money on, I was prepared for disappointment.

I did not get what I was expecting. Like, at all.

First of all, the entire story. It... blew me away. I was expecting a teen sex comedy action flick. Like, a mix between Superbad, Spider-Man, and Charlies Angels but with teens. What I got was a dose of reality, action, drama, comedy, blood and guts, and shock!

This movie based itself on what would really happen if real people tried to be costumed, vigil-ante, heroes. It was shocking, and insane, and real, and I loved it. There was no glamour, no miraculous saves, good guy getting up after major blows. Instead the "heroes" got their asses kicked! They bled, profusely! They were hospitalized! They failed! Yes, in the end they got the bad guy, no surprise there, but the way it was done! Oh, the way it was done!

Director Matthew Vaughn has two other titles under his belt: Stardust and Layer Cake. Stardust is one of my personal faves. Fantasy like no other! Now, I've never seen Layer Cake, but I've heard great things about it. Kick-Ass is a hard core, blood, guts, shocker, but Vaughn couldn't seem to help himself. The ending is where it's at. It's the big finale, the final showdown. And to make it totally kick ass, Vaughn let in a bit of fantasy. I'm soooo not going to give it away though. But I will tell you that I laughed and laughed and totally wanted to stand up and applaud.

Now to characters and the actors that portrayed them. Stellar cast.



Nicolas Cage gave his character depth and with every word and every gesture gave parts of himself away to the viewers. At first you weren't really sure what kind of character he was. Was he a vigil-ante just because? Was he brought up in the lifestyle the same way he was bringing up his daughter? You wonder if he's just an eccentric kind of guy. Finally, you realize that he's... well... kind of crazy. For real. A very deep, very real hatred, of the bad guy and of himself, combined with inconsolable grief drive him a little bit nuts and turn him into the obsessed man you see on screen. I'm going to go ahead and say that this is Cage's best performance ever. And he totally stole the show. Kudos to you Mr. Cage.



Next up we have Aaron Johnson, the titular (hehe titular) character, Kick-Ass. I can't believe this but the dude's English. So, very good job on the accent. Johnson gave his character humanity. We saw him hurt, scared, determined, righteous. Brave. And Johnson let the character grow. I can name the exact moment in the movie when Kick-Ass went from being a teen in a costume to an adult. (For those of you who see the movie: when he goes into the bathroom to wash his face and he looks at the mirror. You'll know it when you see it.) The character gets hurt, is tired, and doesn't know what he's doing. But he never really gives up. Especially when it counts. Johnson did an excellent job portraying the character. Plus he actually looked good in that ridiculous costume.

The rest of the cast did good. Mark Strong, the bad guy, was truly scary. And he wasn't going to play it like a teen movie bad guy. He felt real. And scary. Did I mention that yet? The kid playing Red Mist was intriguing and quite funny. I wanted to punch him and make out with him at the same time. I really can't go into the character much because he's kind of surprising. So, I'll leave it at that.

All in all: it's one kick ass movie. What ever you're expecting, I guarantee you won't get it. And I can't guarantee you'll like it, but I'm pretty sure you'll respect it.

WARNING:
Just an added note: I wouldn't take kids to this unless they're mature for their age. And, since it is quite shocking, it's definitely not for everyone. As an example: Big Daddy shoots his little hun-bun in the chest; that same little hun-bun has the mouth of a much older, dirtier girl; her action sequences take some getting used to (pretty disturbing shit coming from a young girl); and did I mention the blood and guts? Cause there be some pretty grody blood and guts.

Otherwise, enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates