Saturday, September 10, 2011

Covering The Attack On The World Trade Center

Covering The Attack On The World Trade Center
I just spent in New York during the attacks took place and was the biggest story of my life.
My colleague Doug Kriegel, editor Patch Sherman Oaks, said his 9 / 11 experience.
On the morning of 11 September 2001, I went to breakfast in my brother-in-law, get ready to play a round of golf with him, in Long Island, when suddenly my sister Gail, who had been watching the nest morning TV came running into the kitchen and said, "Wow, the car just crashed into the World Trade Center!"
We ran on TV and I was horrified when about 15 minutes later, another plane crashed in central smoking.
Within minutes, my phone rang. It 'was Paula Madison, general mananger and KNBC in Los Angeles, where I worked as a journalist. Her voice was full of emotion."Kriegel, you are in New York, right?" She said. "Get on this story right away. Come into the air. "
Getting to Manhattan was a major task. The Long Island Expressway was a parking lot immediately to four lanes. The traffic was not moving, because people rushed to Long Island to the city in cars to pick up their relatives and friends who worked in Manhattan, but had no way to go home because the authorities had closed the public transport as a measure of caution.
"Look at the sky, it looks terrible," said Gail was in the car with me, pointing at the horizon the smoke enveloped lower Manhattan.
In fact, the World Trade Center seemed to have been beheaded, and instead of blood was pouring smoke and ash over the huge building, and was feeding through the horizon of downtown New York.
As we approached, a police officer said, "Sorry, you must wait, we're not letting people in Manhattan."
I found route, the 59th Street Bridge, which was guarded by a female officer in a parking meter. I showed her my credentials, news, and was nice enough to let us drive over the bridge.
The bridge itself was filled with people who came out of Manhattan. Thousands of people who came to work that day was forced to leave the city because there was no public transport available.
It 'was a show people dressed in suit and tie office, the evacuation of Manhattan. I remember thinking, this was what it was like when the Nazis marched in Paris in 1940, and thousands of French people were evacuated from the city.
The following 24 hours were a fog. Breathe. A friend of mine told me that she cried when KNBC saw me in the report that "the city of New York was brought to its knees."
I coudn't believe it.
The hardest part of covering this story was just beginning.
In the coming weeks, it is encouraging to see New York on his knees and feet. But in the process, I met hundreds of people who lost relatives in the attack.
Many of them continued to maintain the hope that somehow her parents were still alive, perhaps in a hospital room somewhere in the city.
They hold pictures of their loved ones and ask for the journalists, have you seen my husband or mother or brother traveled to the city?
It 'was heartbreaking to tell them that I had not seen the photograph of the person.
Never forget the funeral of a firefighter in the Bronx. It was an Italian neighborhood, and the man who died trying to save others was the father of two children.
People were furious with the service.
Later, one of the older men in the neighborhood began to talk to me. There was fury in his eyes as he has in store on the corner of the busy street, we were standing.
"See that place," he said angrily. "The people who work in that store were cheering when the World Trade Center was attacked."
"We will visit them," he swore.
The next two weeks, I continued to cover a variety of other stories about the terrorist attacks.
I never found out if they paid those people to visit.
Of course, the U.S. military visited the perpetrators of the attacks, and we are still paying.
Two weeks ago I went to Ground Zero. There was a large crowd around the gleaming skyscraper that is under construction there. Many of the visitors were clearly foreign, as Muslims speak Arabic.
Despite the pounding of construction noise, there was a sense of quiet harmony on the site. The city and its inhabitants had been recovered, and were preparing to remember.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates